Monday, March 24, 2008

My Beachside Paradise

I never really feel cool enough to eat here (it's popular with the uber-untrendy crowd), but I've lived on the East-siiide before, so I feel I have some street cred. Probably not. El Chilito is not to be confused with El Chile, which is owned by the same people, but it feels light years away. Every time I pull up to El Chilito, I imagine the cleaners across the street is really the ocean, and my darling little El Chilito is a simple walk-up beachside eatery. The sunny colors add a sense of cheeriness to the Manor Road Restaurant Row.

My old roommate turned me on to this joint, it's a college kid's dream. The breakfast tacos can cure any hangover -- not that I've tried, but I've heard. I prefer to hit El Chilito mid-afternoon. Lunchtime--there's a line, dinner--a line. If you time it just right, no crowd, no fuss -- Saturdays around 4PM seem perfect.

The menu is about as uncomplicated as you can get. Only a few items that you can order as tacos or burrritos, splurge on the side of black beans and rice, it's worth it. My favorites are the Cochinita Pibil and the Picadillo, I always request the corn tortillas because, well, just because. The Picadillo is as close to authentic as anything I've ever had in Texas. Picadillo is typically a spicy ground beef with cilantro, potatoes, tomatoes, it's comfort food at its yummiest. The Cochinita is legendary, I've tried making it at least three different times, but it never tastes as good. This is a dish that takes some serious lovin' ... it's achiote and citrus marinated pork (usually marinated over 3-4 days), steam roasted in banana leaves. Cochinita is usually topped off with pickled onions, a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt. A girl can't ask for more. Okay, well maybe a frozen sangria and the banana paleta, but no more.

If you have time to stay and eat, do. All of the tables are on the screened in porch, but no worries, during the winter you have blankets and heaters, during the summer, you're under the shade. Everything must be ordered with a side of patience because tacos this good, need time, but don't worry just order a side of the spicy guacamole and enjoy!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

i forgot to tell you i went here with some friends last weekend and ordered your two favorites because of this post. i think the picadillo won out for me. and the line that had formed by the time i finished eating kept me from going back up for a paleta, but i did have a few sips of a super sweet mexican coke. mmm.