Monday, February 11, 2008

Fine Dining, Airstream Style

Last Friday, a few co-workers and I decided to grab a bite to eat at Flip Happy Crepes. I know, crepes for lunch? Doesn’t sound very filling, besides, aren't they only sweet? Wrong! Don’t ask me why, but I’ve always associated crepes with IHOP, similar to diner food gone wrong.

We got there right at noon on a gorgeous Friday afternoon, so as you would expect, there was a line. Oh, that’s right the girls of Flip Happy, well, they call an Airstream trailer home. Arrive early unless you want to share a meal over a TV tray. There are only a few picnic tables to go around, and TV trays don’t balance well on gravel.

We stood in line for about ten minutes and I could not make a decision. Did I want the Ham & Gruyere? Yes. The Spinach & Feta? Yes. The Smoked Salmon? Yes. Or, should I defy conventional wisdom and just order dessert? The Nutella & Banana was absolutely calling my name. Thankfully, there was a small note next to the order window marked special. Perfect! I say, go with the special, whenever possible. You know it’s going to be a good deal, and probably something that’s not always on the menu. Luckily, the special of the day was the Moroccan. Fantastic! It was just spicy enough with tons of sautéed veggies and the best part, rotisserie chicken, not that "twice reheated" mystery meat.

My friends and I did decide to order a dessert course; after all, we were celebrating a birthday. We ended up ordering the Nutella & Banana. It was the perfect crepe-to-banana-to-Nutella ratio. I think I may have even noticed some attempted bite stealing at the table, er, tray.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

love it! your writing is fun to read, i have to say. if you're ever in need of a dining companion, i'd like to volunteer my services as a curious eater. also, i think we should stick to our theme so far of desserts with bananas and chocolate.