Sunday, February 10, 2008

On a recent trip down Guadalupe...

My friend Kate and I recently visited Vino Vino on Guadalupe and 42nd Street. It’s worth the trip just to read the menu, full of personal experiences and lotsa sarcasm. On my visit, the by-the-glass menu had only Italian wines found on the owner’s recent visit through the country. Kate and I were interested in eating elsewhere for dinner, so, we decided on the cheese plate. Absolutely worth the $15, to my surprise. I couldn’t get enough of the Gruyere from Dublin – Texas, that is. Out of this world! The bartenders seemed knowledgeable – even when tested to find a wine for a picky drinker, like myself. I lean more towards sweet white wines, but I was encouraged to try a light red and was pleasantly surprised. They don’t cheat you on the wine either, a nice big pour to enjoy. On a side note, when I visit a wine bar I want overstuffed leather club chairs and soft music, think Ella or Nat. Vino offers more bar space than lounge, and the music a little overwhelming, but it's definitely worth a visit.

Later that night, Kate and I stopped by El Greco, on Guadalupe and 30th, for a “quick” bite to eat. Kate and I decided to share a chicken Gyro plate. I’d never had a chicken Gyro before, but I like to try new things... think of a yummier version of chicken fajitas with a super thick tortilla. The food was amazing, too bad it took 45 minutes to make its way to our table. Athina, the owner’s mother, did make things better by bringing over an amazing salad while we waited. It's a new restaurant, so there still seem to be a few kinks, but it's got potential. Don’t even get me started on the baklava, it was (as Kate would say) ridiculous, pick-it-up off the sidewalk good, if you know what I mean!

No comments: